It’s late Tuesday night as I write this, and I’m way too tired to attempt anything eloquent. But in the past few days, our group has experienced things I never dreamed possible:
- spent time with the 200 children of Family Village Farm orphanage, including beautiful Devi, the girl our church sponsors.
- rode the school bus with the community children who attend the King’s Matriculation School to see their homes and villages, most of which are thatched roof huts
- cut the ribbon for the opening of a new dormitory for a rural nursing school
- received gracious honors from several villages we visited to give support and encouragement to community projects like wells for irrigation
- met a young man with physical challenges who has recently completed his B.A. degree because of a Global Ministries scholarship and who plays on the state cricket team.
- drank coconut water from a green coconut and ate the gel-like “meat” to provide electrolytes to our diet
- visited the Christian Medical College and several rural hospitals made possible by the vision and support of Christians around the world
- preached at the Good Shepherd Church in Chennai on Sunday where the overflow crowd watched on closed circuit television
- ate amazing foods that I can barely describe, much less identify
- saw beauty in some very unexpected places.
I’ll try to post some photos, and next time I get internet access, I’ll give a bit more description. Our group is doing well…it’s been a very demanding trip, and worth every effort.